About SM Arul - Music Director

S.M.Arul entered the world of music with his music album ‘Meditation’ in 1989. FMPB’s (Friends Missionary Prayer Band) ‘Jamakkaran’ in 1996 made the Christian music world to notice him. He went on to make a place for himself with Albums like ‘Theera’ and ‘Jeevan’.

My father, my influence…
“I was born and brought up in Madurai. My father Late Mr.A.S. Swamynathan was a great

Accordion, Harmonium, Piano and Pedal Organist. When he was working with T.V.S he was the coordinator of T.V.S. music troupe. He died in 1988.

I learned ‘Mridangam’ at the age of 5 and performed my ‘Arangettram’ at 14. Keeping in mind the fact that ‘Thalam’ (Rhythm) is very much important to learn any musical instrument, my father sent me to learn Mridangam first. In those days I would participate in all the musical competitions held in Madurai and win first prize. When I got interest in the Pedal Organ which used to be in our house, my father taught me to play that. Later I learned Piano from Mr. William Manohar.

I have completed my 6th Grade from Madurai’s Royal School of Music and I am going to do 8th Grade Practical from London Trinity College of Music. I got the chance to learn carnatic music when I was 20.

Passion into profession…
After the death of my father I had to take up the responsibility of my family. But I was very much passionate about music. In 1989, I composed my first music album ‘Meditation’ in Madurai’s TTS studio and released it. It got me much encouragement from Brother Ravi who was a sound technician.I was in Madurai till 1992 working for different music troupes and for some music albums. Later on I came to Chennai searching for a good breakthrough in music.

The Turning Point in my career…
FMPB’s ‘Jamakkaran’ in 1996 was the album that got me recognition. The song that I liked the most in the album was ‘Gangai Aatril’.

I worked with great passion for FMPB’s ‘Theera’. It had great songs. Other than that FMPB’s compilations such as ‘Meloga Aasai’ and ‘Aadhi’ are some of my favorites. I still get excited when I listen to the song ‘Melaanavaigalai Nadungal’ sung by Dr.Donald.

Christian songs, then and now…
I think compared to the past, Christian productions are coming out with good music now a days. We can definitely turn the attention of the youngsters listening to movie songs towards Jesus if we give them a good alternative. I believe that if we produce quality songs we can attract youngsters with the Love of Jesus Christ.

To create songs that can move the souls…
I am not saying that Christian songs should be cinematic, but it should match the quality, standard of production and technology of music in cinema. Producers should come forward to spend good amount of money in order to produce quality Christian songs. Some of the musical instruments should be directly played which will add to the beauty of the song. And more over we should not keep on saying repeatedly what we have been saying in songs till now. We can introduce new thoughts with good Tamil words”.

Some of his great Hits album is Jeevan, Theera & more.
Share on Google Plus

2 comments:

  1. Hi i am looking for Bro S.M.Arul Email or phone number regarding the music.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ARUL Iam your friend from T.M(mdu)
    guess........


    MY CONTACT NO:9171979116

    ReplyDelete